First of All, We Will Like t introduce you to the meaning of SSL Certificate, incase you are new to websites terminologies or you have been in the web field for a long time now and you have not come across, the term “SSL Certicate” So we will go on this topic, by breaking it parts by parts to tell you the definition or what is the meaning of SSL Certificate. So Lets Start Now!
What Is SSL Certificate?
SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is the standard security technology for establishing an encrypted link between a web server and a browser. This link ensures that all data passed between the web server and browsers remain private and integral. SSL is an industry standard and is used by millions of websites in the protection of their online transactions with their customers.
To be able to create an SSL connection a web server requires an SSL Certificate. When you choose to activate SSL on your web server you will be prompted to complete a number of questions about the identity of your website and your company. Your web server then creates two cryptographic keys – a Private Key and a Public Key.
The Public Key does not need to be secret and is placed into a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) – a data file also containing your details. You should then submit the CSR. During the SSL Certificate application process, the Certification Authority will validate your details and issue an SSL Certificate containing your details and allowing you to use SSL. Your web server will match your issued SSL Certificate to your Private Key. Your web server will then be able to establish an encrypted link between the website and your customer’s web browser.
The complexities of the SSL protocol remain invisible to your customers. Instead their browsers provide them with a key indicator to let them know they are currently protected by an SSL encrypted session – the lock icon in the lower right-hand corner, clicking on the lock icon displays your SSL Certificate and the details about it. All SSL Certificates are issued to either companies or legally accountable individuals.
Typically an SSL Certificate will contain your domain name, your company name, your address, your city, your state and your country. It will also contain the expiration date of the Certificate and details of the Certification Authority responsible for the issuance of the Certificate. When a browser connects to a secure site it will retrieve the site’s SSL Certificate and check that it has not expired, it has been issued by a Certification Authority the browser trusts, and that it is being used by the website for which it has been issued. If it fails on any one of these checks the browser will display a warning to the end user letting them know that the site is not secured by SSL.
Now with the above detailed infos or definition of SSL Certificate, which you have read, and i know that you have known the meaning of SSL Certificate, Before we can go to thee main reason why this topic was created.
Now Let’s Talk about NameCheap Hosting And why they don’t offer or allow you to use free SSL Certificate in your websites hosted on their hosting networks!
NameCheap Web Hosting Company, is a good website Hosting Company that is Based in United State “US”, I have tried all their Shared Hosting Packages without any issues with them, and also as the name sounds “NameCheap” So is the Hosting Packages which they Offer answers to the name. The reason i said so! Is that you can start your Blog or Website Hosting with them just a small Cash on your hand which will last for you in a period of one year.
More Publications You Missed!
Discussing About NameCheap SSL Certificate.
Yes experiences we had in web hosting companies while using their services, most of these hosting companies offer free SSL Certificate Installation for your server, which will last according to the period of time your services lasts with them. But in namecheap web hosting, they do not offer free SSL Certificate installation, all they do is to offer you a cheap SSL Certification for just $9.88 in a Period of One Year. But since you are already a customer, with them, they will give you a 95% Discounts on it. Which means as a new customer coming to them, you have to purchase this SSL Certificate from them, but saying this, is not the right idea, for those that are just coming newly to web hosting services, because at this first stage of your hosting experience, you don’t need to spend much on hosting packages, why do i say so? This is to say that, Most individuals hosting a website, has a thought of making money, so with this thought, you do not need to spend much money on hosting, all you need is to get a cheap hosting services, that will suite your needs and desires to own a standard website of your choice. So in a Nutshell i will mention those hosting providers we had used their services which offer free SSL Certificate Installations for You. Let’s give the lists below and continue with our topic…
Web Hosting Companies Which Support Free SSL Certificate for All Shared Hosting Customers.
- A2 Web Hosting Company: Is a Hosting Company, which based in the US and was first launched in 2003, and, they were developer-focused. “A2 Hosting were actually one of the first companies to offer PHP 5, and one of the first hosting companies to offer Ruby on Rails in the shared hosting platform,” Which was said by: Bryan Muthig A2 Hosting Company CEO. On a live Interview. A2 Hosting has the feature of free SSL Certificate Installation Inbuilt in their Hosting System, but any one who needs these feature has to create a ticket to the support Team, through their various Accounts, to ask or request for the activation of Free SSL Certificate in their Cpanel Shared Hosting Server, which will be done just in a Some hours or same time which the ticket was created. You can read more about A2 Hosting with this Link: https://www.ngmtechnology.com/a2-hosting-review-experience/ Because they are good in speed and fast Website Loading, they are the second web hosting company we tried using and they served us very fine.
- InterServer.Net Web Hosting Company: InterServer.net has been providing webhosting services for the past 18 years. Although technology has changed from the time we started in 1999, our core principles of quality, service, and support have remained the same. Our company has evolved its product offering to include Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Quick Servers, and Dedicated Servers along with colocation services to continue to exceed our customers’ expectations and remain BEST IN CLASS. As a leading webhosting provider, InterServer is able to provide its extensive customer base with innovative products and services designed to complement their existing businesses. We service customers ranging from individual freelancers to Fortune 500 companies, both domestic and international. InterServer takes tremendous pride in our commitment to ensure security, reliability, and technical expertise to each individual customer. We are one of the few service providers that offer around-the-clock customer support with live representatives available 24/7. Interverser.net, Offer free SSL Certificate Installation at every customers cpanel. In Interserver cPanel, You can Install SSL Certificate Free Of Charge by yourself in your cpanel, by using the inbuilt Let’s Encrypt Cpanel Plugin, which was installed for every customers in Interserver.net, so here you do not need to contact your support team to do it for you, Because in your cpanel, in Security Tab, you will see Let’s Encrypt and select it to install on several domains you have in your cpanel account.
We will stop at those two web hosting companies, though we have more to show or introduce them to you, but, the different on those ones, they are only VPS And Cloud Server Hosting Providers, which is not suitable for beginners in web hosting fields.
Steps To Install SSL Certificate On NameCheap Shared Hosting Services
- The first step to take here is to login to your wordpress dashboard which you already known before now, but if you are new and don’t know this, here is an example of the login url:
- After login in to your wordpress dashboard, just go to installed plugin dashboard and click on Plugins>Add New to install a new plugin to your wordpress website.
- After Clicking on Add New, use the wordpress plugin search, to search for this plugin “WP Encrypt”
- After Installing and Activating the plugin, the plugin will pop-up this test “You have just activated WP Encrypt. This plugin provides you with an easy way to manage SSL certificates through Let’s Encrypt. To get started, please follow the steps on the Settings page.” in your plugin header dashboard, so click on the link “Seetings page” Lets set it up.
- Fill in the Forms below, to register your website. a) Organization Name: Put Your Website Title Here, b) Country Name: Type in Your Country of Origin, where you are living and operate your website. e.g: “Nigeria”, c) Country Code: Type your country code here, e.g: NG for Nigerians. Additional Settings d) Auto-generate Certificate: Check this box, e) Expire Warnings: check this box, f) Expire Warnings Trigger: Leave it as default value, don’t alter any writeup here. and then “click save” g) Let’s Encrypt Account: Click on “Create Account” i) Let’s Encrypt Certificate: Click On “Generate Certificate” After clicking on that link, yo will get this message feedback.
- Login to your cpanel and locate the directory of the SSL Certificate Generate by WP Encrypt Plugin, for you to use it to install SSL in your website. your cpanel login should be https://yourdomain.com/cpanel or https://yourdomain.com:2083. See below photo:
- Click on File Manager, after your successful login to cpanel.
- Locate a Let’s Encrypt directory in your cpanel home directory and open it till you see some SSL Certificates, which is the end of the directory. e.g: < /home/cpanelusername/letsencrypt/live/www.yourdomain.com/then_all_your_cert_files_in_this_directory. see a screenshot below: we are going to be using the highlighted SSL Certificate, which are three (3) in numbers. so let’s begin the next step.
- Go back to your cpanel and scroll down to Security Tab and Select SSL/TLS Magaer, see screen-shot below: click on it and when it has loaded, click on “Install and Manage SSL for your site (HTTPS) – Manage SSL sites.” see image below also: the next thing to do is to copy the SSL Certificates from: < /home/cpanelusername/letsencrypt/live/www.yourdomain.com/then_all_your_cert_files_in_this_directory and install them one by one in your cpanel.
- To install the certificates, select the domain name, you that will use the ssl certificate:
- Copy the cert.pem codes from the generated certificates in this directory: < /home/cpanelusername/letsencrypt/live/www.yourdomain.com/cert.pem/ and paste it in: Certificate: (CRT). by doing this, you have to click the file cert.pem and edit it, to copy the codes on it. See image. copy all this code to Certificate: (CRT).
- Use same method in above to copy private.pem key files and paste to: Private Key (KEY)
- Use Also the Above method to copy chain.pem key files and paste to: Certificate Authority Bundle: (CABUNDLE)
after clicking on the Install Certificate Button, if you see a pop-up shortly, telling you that the installation was successful. just click OK and you are done installing SSL Certificate to your Website, but we still have few things to do, before our web page will start using https green pad luck. so let’s continue to the next remaining steps.
- Go back to your WordPress Dashboard and go to settings page, then select General Settings and Update all your wordpress url to https see image. yes i think we are getting this done, after you have added the “s” to your url, then save it, your website will logout, for you to login with https with green padlock. so this is the end of adding SSL Certificate to your websites on Namecheap Shared Hosting. but read on on the Summary Below.
Looking at the steps above, are very easy and quick steps we provided for you on this topic, to solve the issue of SSL Certificate on NameCheap Share Hosting Packages, because many clients that hosted their websites on Namecheap, find it difficult to use free SSL Certificate, because there is no interface for Let’s Encrypt cPanel Plugin, to use in installing SSL Certificates in their site. Also take note that, the SSL Certificate which we published here, is generated by Let’s Encrypt, so that is what that plugin WP Encrypt Does. It helps you, to generate Let’s Encrypt Certificate in your WordPress website, than going to Let’s Encrypt Partners to generate it free or with cost price.
NOTE: After installing SSL Certificate in your website, you will need to tell Google, Bing, and other Search Engine websites, that you are now using https, in your website, by going to your search engine search console to re-add your websites again with the https version, so that you will not have bad SEO experience.
To support us, use any of our social media buttons, like that of: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Whatsapp, etc… to share this article to them. Thanks for taking your time to read this short piece of Article. Remain Blessed!!!