A program that runs automatically without human intervention
- You can search for feeds using feeds: before the query
- To search Bing without a background image use http://www.bing.com/?rb=0
- To turn the background image back on, use http://www.bing.com/?rb=1
- To change the number of search results returned per page, click “Extras” (on top-right of page) and select “Preferences”. Under Web Settings / Results you can choose 10, 15, 30 or 50 results
Google Search Tips:
- You can search for a phrase by using quotations [“like this”] or with a minus sign between words [like-this].
- You can search by a date range by using two dots between the years [2004..2007].
- When searching with a question mark [?] at the end of your phrase, you will see sponsored Google Answer links, as well as definitions if available.
- Google searches are not case sensitive.
- By default Google will return results which include all of your search terms.
- Google automatically searches for variations of your term, with variants of the term shown in yellow highlight.
- Google lets you enter up to 32 words per search query.
- Google Search Page
Yahoo Search Tips:
- By default Yahoo returns results that include all of your search terms
- To exclude words use a minus sign [cat -tabby] would show all results about cats with no mention of tabby.
- Yahoo search results also shows related searches, which are based on other searches by users with similar terms
- To search for a map, use map [location]
- To search for dictionary definitions use “define” [define hard drive]
- To search a single domain use site [site: obasimvilla.com/forum DVD] would search Webopedia for the term DVD.
- Yahoo Search Page
Windows Live Search
Windows Live Search Tips:
- Common words such as a, and, and the are ignored unless they’re enclosed by quotation marks.
- Category lists may appear on the top of search results – you can click a category to see only the results associated with that category.
- If using a date in your search query, type the name of the month instead of the calendar number.
- To define something, use define followed by the word [define DVD] will show definitions for DVD.
HOW SEARCH ENGINES RANK WEB PAGES